- 2 days ago a friend's 5 year old decided to crash tackle a moving hilux.
- Another old friend's 30-something daughter is currently in an induced coma after a brain bleed.
- A month or so ago, I was standing alongside a lot of my senior students at the funeral of a former classmate, listening to his parents talk about his life.
- Earlier this year I failed to save the life of a co-worker who had a massive heart attack in a library full of students.
- A few weeks later a 15 year old student decided to have a heart attack too and we were told the chances of him surviving were slim.
Parents should never outlive their children? Why not? Tell that to the parents of Kandahar whose children have been collateral damage. How about the people of Iraq, whose mortality rates for the under 5s is two and a half times higher than it was before we brought them the gift of freedom. Yeah, it is OK, I'm not going all lefty today. It isn't just about the wars, it is about the deaths from famine and disease in so many countries.
Mmm, perhaps we will all