the bit I like is...
When you're a new manager these are the (sorts of) questions you should be asking of the staff:
- What are the top things we need to preserve and why?
- What are the top 3 things we need to change and why?
- What are the barriers to doing your best work?
- What makes you feel valued?
- What do you most hope I do in my position?
- What are you most concerned I might do in my position
And that is (I find) the biggest problem with management seminars, great managers tell mediocre managers what they do but mediocre managers don't realise that the words are not a magic incantation to produce morale. So instead of doing what the great managers do, they end up just using the same word and making those of us who have to work with them suspicious of all managers and all management speak.